Wednesday, September 22

I have become OBSESSED with United mileage plus. I check my status constantly and have made it my mission to understand fine-print. Dave and I are considering buying plane tickets to Miami ONLY FOR THE MILES. We would fly there, and fly home. If we do it, we’ll be premier exec. Premier Exec! That means more UPGRADES. I feel like an upgrade whore. This summer while waiting hungover for a flight from JFK to SFO (a notoriously long flight, made longer by going against the weather), United decided to upgrade us for free. This is a mystery I choose not to investigate. When they called my name and handed me business class tickets I said “thank you” and turned around quickly. I enjoyed that flight, almost as much as when they accidentally upgraded us into first instead of business class from DEN to SFO. Short flight, but, man, that was better than my own bedroom. I almost started crying. After this JFK flight, we were back in coach, and I felt ANGER. I felt they had TAKEN SOMETHING FROM ME that I deserved. They owed me this. That feeling certainly gave me insight on the welfare debate. Now I must have status, must have extenable legrest ….must have warm towel….